Monday, August 29, 2005

lessons from chi-town

on a recent trip, I had the oppportunity to make some cross-sytem comparisons as regards bus operations. While its common to disparage Seattle's bus system, I would have to say its got a few things going for it.

That said, one thing the CTA bus rider has going for him or her is the assurance that, once on the bus, the driver will do everything possible to reach the end of the line as quickly as possible. Smile43 and I rode the Belmont line in heavy traffic and found that the driver conceeded no ground to the surrounding autos and trucks. Metro drivers please take note

On the other hand, I have returned to Seattle with an appreciation for the way Metro maintians its signage and posts current schedules. I found it frustrating that the CTA actually pays completetly uninformed employees to sit at L stations. We were incorrecrlty told that out train would run until 2AM when in fact it stopped at 12:30. This resulted in trip by cab - always the last choice of a true bus-spotter!

1 Comments:

At 8:51 PM, Blogger Final Answer said...

One other thing of note was the Chicago Pace's use of duel-slant windshields -- i.e. different glass angles for the driver- and passenger-sides of the coach. I'm not sure, however, what the purpose of this is. I used to think the Pace was a weak system, but my opinion changed slightly for the better after seeing this and some quality vintage models!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home